Spotty shirt (January SAM)

1st shirt done with 3 days to spare! If I am totally honest it was finished last night, worn today, and I have already managed to drip ‘bloody mary salsa’ on the front. Darn. (Not out of character – and the burger was worth it!)

As I promised, this was the basic shirt drawn from a bodice block made to my measures from the Winifred Aldrich pattern cutting book. I have used this book for years and whilst I like most of the instructions I have found some to be less than ideal (I really couldn’t recommend the trouser block, for example). I made few adjustments to the basic block – added wearing ease at the side seams (the original is a ‘second skin’ to be worked up to pattern point), moved the dart to the side bust position, ignored the front waist shaping but used the back darts, added extra length and a button stand. Apart from the addition of a collar and stand, sleeve placket (nicked off a Vogue pattern because it is perfect), and sleeve cuffs I was done. This really was going to be the easiest of projects. Until I tried to cut it out.

Contrast is 'all the rage'

I had two remnant pieces of this lovely spotted cotton fabric in stock, and the first seemed so obviously the right size I got right to it. And discovered I couldn’t quite fit the collar and stand pieces on – or not if I wanted cuffs too. I was by now determined that this was the piece to be used so I decided to follow the lead that is growing at Artisan Square and make contrast collar and cuff backs. Plain white looked good, and I have loads of that, so I went ahead and sewed this together yesterday. I didn’t (and generally don’t) do anything clever with my shirts – the only thing that I do that isn’t detailed when you look at commercial instructions is to sew my inside collar band onto the shirt by machine first and then turn the seam allowance of the outside away and sew it down later. This looks tidier on me as I never button my collar, so the inside collar band is what is seen most on the front. I really couldn’t do much to make this individual – but I decided the buttons (plain lilac) were a bit dull  so I replaced two with black to echo the dots on the fabric.

Shirt and Patrones jeans

 

Having worn this all day I can report that I am very happy with the fit and am ready to do some ‘tweaking’ to make another style from the pattern. I think I will wear this shirt alot – if the salsa comes out….

Advertisements

6 Comments on “Spotty shirt (January SAM)”

  1. Judith says:

    Brilliant shirt – salsa and all!!! So, first SAM under the belt, time to move onto #2…

  2. yuki says:

    Beautiful shirt! I like the contrast collar and your choice of buttons.

  3. sdBev says:

    Great shirt! The contrasting bits are brilliant.

  4. Carolyn says:

    It looks lovely, a great print and the style is a classic!

  5. ejvc says:

    Nice! Must have missed this on the thread! The contrast collar band and inner cuffs are great fabric savers 🙂 I take my hat off to you drafting your own shirt, too.

  6. melissa says:

    Very nice! I really like that print, too.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s