Original design Shorts suit and capePosted: January 12, 2013
I confess I have not managed to get any work done for myself again this week – I am still much too busy feeling sorry for myself. It has been a major effort to keep pace with the work I had to finish to load on anything optional. I went to the dentist yesterday who has referred me to an endodontist(?) and loaded me with more antibiotics. Fun times.
One of the things I have managed to finish this week is an outfit for a lovely lady who is competing in a hairdressing competition next week. She brought me a sketch of what she had in mind and after making a couple of suggestions, and working with the fabric provided, this is the result. Lucy was kind enough to give me permission to post the result here. Thank you Lucy! (And good luck).
The patterns for this outfit were all self drafted to fit the model who is very tall and slim. The shorts suit is made from a polyester jersey with a metallic coating – very effective but does tend to ‘craze’ if stretched too much width-ways. The seams are all mock flat fell, and I didn’t need to make any special efforts with neatening as this fabric doesn’t fray at all. I used the ever dependable Harlequin to make the buttons and belt which were lovely. The cape was made from a transparent PVC type fabric which was not a lot of fun to sew. At all. Thankfully Molly stepped up and made a splendid job of stitching the binding around the edge, and the hand crank made the whole operation slow enough to be very controlled. Am I ever glad I invested in that little treasure!
The lovely model, Sophie, said it was very comfortable so I am happy with that.
Everything I need to get on with the Pattern Magic shirt is collected into one spot so I hope that will be the next post.