Happy Mothering Sunday!Posted: March 10, 2013
I have had a wonderful Mothers Day. I woke up rather than being woken up. I had a jog along the river in Bewdley in a freezing cold wind with snow flurries and survived (I actually enjoyed it!). And then I came home to find a lovely floral arrangement from my wonderful daughter which I am happy to share with you all – pretty things should be shared.
After lunch I was able to spend some time finishing off the Burda trousers I have been making. They are model 143 from 2/2013, made up in a straight size 44. From my measurements I would have chosen a larger size but I always seem to end up fiddling with the fit to make them smaller so this time I cut the 44, but hedged my bets with large seam allowances! As I have already mentioned I did my best to foul these up, tracing the wrong line on the pockets so they had to be tweaked into place using that large seam allowance. I used a polyester/viscose mix from stock which has 6% elastane and I love the fit this pattern has given. I have taped the upper edge of the waistband to prevent it stretching in wear (I used the selvedge from some lining as I had run out of seam tape – I find this works very well and is a very thrifty option!). I did take the center back seam in about 1cm at the waist, which I was fairly amazed about, and the trousers sit really nicely into my back now without gapping. The only thing I am not 100% happy with is the pocket opening, but I should have known that I am ‘iffy’ about that pocket shape and changed it before I cut the fabric. It isn’t something I feel strongly enough about to be unhappy with this pair, but I will change it in future pairs. Yes, there will be more!
When you consider that these almost ended up in the bin last week they aren’t bad! I am happy with the fit, although I will ‘tweak’ it a little next time. I am planning to make these up again very soon without the side hip pocket shape I am unsure of. I know that I will have to use fabric with an elastane content, or allow a bit of extra ease.
This will double check that I am happy with the pattern before I pack it into a new file marked ‘Kim’s TNT Patterns’!